From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocks to fix
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:46:20
1 On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:00:41 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thanks all. I do need to be careful about this as the machine is 400
5 >> miles away and the user is completely unable to be of any help if it
6 >> stops working meaning I have to drive or the box has to be shipped.
7 >> Either alternative is not good.
8 >
9 > It's a bit late now, but installing a second distro, or a bare stage 3
10 > gentoo, as a dual boot so you can still access the machoine if it breaks.
11 > As an alternative, send the user a GRML CD and get them to boot that if
12 > things go wrong.
15 > --
16 > Neil Bothwick
17
18 I tried the Gentoo install CD with him a couple of years ago. He was
19 unable to get ssh set up and tell me what his firewall's IP address
20 was.
21
22 Please remember, some of these folks fought in WW2. They are not
23 recent IT graduates! ;-)
24
25 Having a second install is a reasonable idea. I suppose I can probably
26 install that remotely but I cannot test it remotely (AFAIK) without
27 someone handy to choose the right line in the grub menu...
28
29 Thanks,
30 Mark