From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to change from one harddrive to software raid
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 06:04:20
1 Am 30.03.2011 05:02, schrieb Einux:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I bought a new 1T harddrive which is exactly the same as my previous
5 > harddrive. So I'm planning to make a Raid-1 layout(for security
6 > reasons). But here's the problem: I've already setup LVM2 on the
7 > existing harddrive and I don't want to destroy the existing LVM volume
8 > groups. I tried to google it, but I'm not sure which is the right keyword.
9 > Could you guys help me out?
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance:)
12 >
13 > --
14 > Best Regards,
15 > Einux
18 1. Create a degenerated RAID1 with your new disk
19 mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/sdb
20
21 2. Partition the raid device
22
23 3. Add one of the partitions to your LVM volume group.
24 pvcreate /dev/sdb2
25 vgextend volume_group /dev/sdb2
26
27 4. Move everything from the old physical volumes to the new pv.
28 pvmove /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb2
29
30 5. Remove the old and now empty physical volume
31 vgreduce volume_group /dev/sda3
32
33 6. Move everything else which is not on LVM to your new raid. Guess you
34 need to go to single user mode to do this safely.
35
36 7. Grow your raid to also contain the old disk.
37 mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sda
38
39 No, I have not tested this and you should double-check everything. No
40 guarantees, etc.
41
42 One warning, though: pvmove is known to create problems from time to
43 time. Leaking memory, bogging systems with infinite system load and so
44 on. If it gives you trouble, you can abort it with `pvmove --abort` and
45 try it again later by calling `pvmove volume_group` (without physical
46 device specified) to resume it. It SHOULD survive system crashes.
47 Trying another kernel version sometimes helps when pvmove gives you trouble.
48
49 Hope this helps,
50 Florian Philipp