From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to change from one harddrive to software raid
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:33:28
1 On Wednesday 30 March 2011 07:28:40 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 30.03.2011 05:02, schrieb Einux:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I bought a new 1T harddrive which is exactly the same as my previous
6 > > harddrive. So I'm planning to make a Raid-1 layout(for security
7 > > reasons). But here's the problem: I've already setup LVM2 on the
8 > > existing harddrive and I don't want to destroy the existing LVM volume
9 > > groups. I tried to google it, but I'm not sure which is the right
10 > > keyword. Could you guys help me out?
11 > >
12 > > Thanks in advance:)
13 >
14 > 1. Create a degenerated RAID1 with your new disk
15 > mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/sdb
16 >
17 > 2. Partition the raid device
18 >
19 > 3. Add one of the partitions to your LVM volume group.
20 > pvcreate /dev/sdb2
21 > vgextend volume_group /dev/sdb2
22 >
23 > 4. Move everything from the old physical volumes to the new pv.
24 > pvmove /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb2
25 >
26 > 5. Remove the old and now empty physical volume
27 > vgreduce volume_group /dev/sda3
28 >
29 > 6. Move everything else which is not on LVM to your new raid. Guess you
30 > need to go to single user mode to do this safely.
31 >
32 > 7. Grow your raid to also contain the old disk.
33 > mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sda
34 >
35 > No, I have not tested this and you should double-check everything. No
36 > guarantees, etc.
37 >
38 > One warning, though: pvmove is known to create problems from time to
39 > time. Leaking memory, bogging systems with infinite system load and so
40 > on. If it gives you trouble, you can abort it with `pvmove --abort` and
41 > try it again later by calling `pvmove volume_group` (without physical
42 > device specified) to resume it. It SHOULD survive system crashes.
43 > Trying another kernel version sometimes helps when pvmove gives you trouble.
44
45 To avoid that, with "large" moves, do the following:
46 # pvmove -i 600 /dev/sda3
47
48 The "-i 600" means, only report every 10 minutes. It's the "reporting" that
49 causes the memory leak.
50
51 Also, when just wanting to "empty" one physical volume, it is not necessary to
52 specify the "target".
53 It's a good idea to mark the PVs on the existing drive "non-allocatable". Then
54 LVM won't try to move anything to that PV:
55 # pvchange -xn /dev/sda3
56
57 The rest of the steps read correct. It's how I did a similar operation, but
58 still double-check all the parameters and when in doubt, read the manual
59 and/or ask on the list.
62 Joost Roeleveld