From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best anti-virus
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 20:36:00
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 10 May 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> But I sure acknowledge the majority opinion - almost ALL Linux users,
4 >> and many Windows users as well, choose not to run real-time
5 >> AntiMalware scanners.
6 >
7 > I do this, and I do it for a perfectly obvious reason:
8 >
9 > Your suggestion "protects" me from a problem that does not exist.
10 >
11 > I can't for the life of me imagine why I would ever do such a thing.
16 Geezzzzee.... I'm suddenly besieged!!! :-)
17
18 What is missing in this conversation is specific context; i.e. what are
19 the various "threat models" which are the basis for why/what we do in
20 security-oriented things. Clearly you've analyzed your situation and
21 determined that you don't need it.
22
23 - I happen to mostly use a laptop on public wifi; using
24 "non-OS-specific" tools such as: Firefox browser and thunderbird mail
25 client (each with lots of "extensions" - third-party, unregulated, tools
26 that enhance the operation of the browser/mail client. These extensions
27 have been found to contain Trojans in the past.
28
29 - I often install software directly from the author - or what I presume
30 is the author's webpage; from what I hope is an uncompromised library.
31
32 - I stream both via the browser and directly, a full range of media content.
33
34 Seems to me that each of these areas represent a small possibility for
35 mischief, especially in the case of "extensions"; e.g. everytime I
36 invoke "check for updated plugins", I run the risk of something I don't
37 want (e.g. password sniffer) from a compromised distribution, or spoofed
38 location. An updated heuristic or signature may review that one of the
39 extensions I installed last week came with what is now a recognized bug.
40
41 You've indicated that the problem doesn't exist - true 'nuff for you.
42 But IMHO -a- problem/potential for trouble does exist for me, and I've -
43 perhaps unnecessarily - assumed the overhead and complexity of scanning
44 what I perceive as the "problem" areas in the way I use this box.
45
46 I don't run anti-malware on all activity within the box; just on the
47 browser, lftp, media, and mail client jails, the download and work areas
48 for portage (and where I compile non-portage software), and the
49 /home/TaxAct area where I run WINE (using a dedicated, unprivileged
50 taxact:taxact user:group).
51
52 Reviewing my original response, it may seem that I was promoting
53 real-time Anti-Malware for the masses. No - I definitely do not. Though
54 I do think that people should, as a rule, review and create a "threat
55 model" for their setup andhow they do business; and after doing so,
56 consider AntiVir/Dazuko a potentially useful, possibly cost-effective
57 addition.
58
59 But we can certainly agree to disagree on the potential usefulness of
60 this tool in my situation. :-)
61
62 Tony was not determining "if", but rather, "which" anti-malware. What
63 really happened is that I'm trying to express the basis for my
64 enthusiasm about this particular, versatile Windows-and-Linux
65 anti-malware product to Tony - in response to his original question:
66 "best" Anti Virus.
71 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list