From: Tony Caudel <tony.caudel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Best anti-virus
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 05:43:49
1 On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Saturday 10 May 2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> But I sure acknowledge the majority opinion - almost ALL Linux users,
9 >>> and many Windows users as well, choose not to run real-time
10 >>> AntiMalware scanners.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> I do this, and I do it for a perfectly obvious reason:
14 >>
15 >> Your suggestion "protects" me from a problem that does not exist.
16 >>
17 >> I can't for the life of me imagine why I would ever do such a thing.
22 > Geezzzzee.... I'm suddenly besieged!!! :-)
23 >
24 > What is missing in this conversation is specific context; i.e. what are the
25 > various "threat models" which are the basis for why/what we do in
26 > security-oriented things. Clearly you've analyzed your situation and
27 > determined that you don't need it.
28 >
29 > - I happen to mostly use a laptop on public wifi; using "non-OS-specific"
30 > tools such as: Firefox browser and thunderbird mail client (each with lots
31 > of "extensions" - third-party, unregulated, tools that enhance the operation
32 > of the browser/mail client. These extensions have been found to contain
33 > Trojans in the past.
34 >
35 > - I often install software directly from the author - or what I presume is
36 > the author's webpage; from what I hope is an uncompromised library.
37 >
38 > - I stream both via the browser and directly, a full range of media
39 > content.
40 >
41 > Seems to me that each of these areas represent a small possibility for
42 > mischief, especially in the case of "extensions"; e.g. everytime I invoke
43 > "check for updated plugins", I run the risk of something I don't want (e.g.
44 > password sniffer) from a compromised distribution, or spoofed location. An
45 > updated heuristic or signature may review that one of the extensions I
46 > installed last week came with what is now a recognized bug.
47 >
48 > You've indicated that the problem doesn't exist - true 'nuff for you. But
49 > IMHO -a- problem/potential for trouble does exist for me, and I've - perhaps
50 > unnecessarily - assumed the overhead and complexity of scanning what I
51 > perceive as the "problem" areas in the way I use this box.
52 >
53 > I don't run anti-malware on all activity within the box; just on the
54 > browser, lftp, media, and mail client jails, the download and work areas for
55 > portage (and where I compile non-portage software), and the /home/TaxAct
56 > area where I run WINE (using a dedicated, unprivileged taxact:taxact
57 > user:group).
58 >
59 > Reviewing my original response, it may seem that I was promoting real-time
60 > Anti-Malware for the masses. No - I definitely do not. Though I do think
61 > that people should, as a rule, review and create a "threat model" for their
62 > setup andhow they do business; and after doing so, consider AntiVir/Dazuko a
63 > potentially useful, possibly cost-effective addition.
64 >
65 > But we can certainly agree to disagree on the potential usefulness of this
66 > tool in my situation. :-)
67 >
68 > Tony was not determining "if", but rather, "which" anti-malware. What
69 > really happened is that I'm trying to express the basis for my enthusiasm
70 > about this particular, versatile Windows-and-Linux anti-malware product to
71 > Tony - in response to his original question: "best" Anti Virus.
76 > --
77 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
81 I thank everyone for their input. Guess I'll stick with clamav since it
82 seems to be one of the best and is open source. Think I'll also leave a
83 note withe the Thunderbird folks suggesting anti-virus integration.
84
85 Tony
86 --
87 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
88 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
89 -- Benjamin Franklin