From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] intel HD graphics 4000 and viewing DVDs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:39:48
1 On Fri, Jul 27 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> I forgot a big point. I have a very high res 30" monitor (2560x1600)
5 >> and need to insure that the graphics card can drive the monitor at full
6 >> res (I don't care about dvd's just software development and writing my
7 >> lectures). I haven't received a definitive answer from dell about that.
8 >
9 > I think monitors with resolution that high usually require a DVI-D
10 > dual link connection. Ensure your new computer supports that. If it's
11 > a newer laptop, it might not have DVI at all, but DisplayPort or HDMI
12 > instead. There are DisplayPort and HDMI to DVI adapters available,
13 > though I'm not familiar enough with the specifics to say which would
14 > be compatible with your monitor.
15
16 I am embarrassed to report that I again forgot to say everything needed.
17 I have an "e-port-replicator", which is dell-speak for something you
18 plug the laptop into and which then has a bunch of ports, including
19 displayport. My current laptop plugs into the replicator fine and does
20 indeed drive the 2560x1600 display.
21
22 All the new machines I am considering do support the e-port-replicator
23 so the only question I see remaining is whether the intel 4000 can drive
24 all these bits. I haven't yet got a definitive answer from dell so was
25 hoping someone here knew.
26
27 Thanks and sorry for not giving the info initially.
28 allan