From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:52:33
1 On Sunday 19 December 2010 10:10:56 Dale wrote:
2
3 > It's pretty simple tho. Computer >> router >> DSL modem >> internet.
4
5 Seems to me that the only place you need DHCP is on the DSL side of the
6 modem, so that it can request an address from your ISP. If you pay them
7 for a static address, that's the one you'll get; otherwise of course
8 it'll vary from one occasion to another.
9
10 On the inner side of the DSL modem I suggest you fix an address, say
11 192.168.0.1, then 192.168.0.2 on the router's modem interface, then
12 192.168.1.1 on the router's LAN interface. All those with a 24-bit mask
13 for simplicity. (I used to use a 29-bit mask, but that only leaves six
14 addresses free and it was too restrictive.)
15
16 You could run DHCP in the router if you wanted to, to save yourself
17 setting manual addresses on your computers, but personally I don't
18 bother with DHCP as I prefer to know what address belongs to which
19 interface. It's not as though I had hundreds of boxes to keep abreast
20 of, after all.
23 Rgds
24 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.