From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:55:15
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 19 December 2010 10:10:56 Dale wrote:
5 >> It's pretty simple tho. Computer>> router>> DSL modem>> internet.
6 >>
7 > Seems to me that the only place you need DHCP is on the DSL side of the
8 > modem, so that it can request an address from your ISP. If you pay them
9 > for a static address, that's the one you'll get; otherwise of course
10 > it'll vary from one occasion to another.
11 >
12 > On the inner side of the DSL modem I suggest you fix an address, say
13 > 192.168.0.1, then 192.168.0.2 on the router's modem interface, then
14 > 192.168.1.1 on the router's LAN interface. All those with a 24-bit mask
15 > for simplicity. (I used to use a 29-bit mask, but that only leaves six
16 > addresses free and it was too restrictive.)
17 >
18 > You could run DHCP in the router if you wanted to, to save yourself
19 > setting manual addresses on your computers, but personally I don't
20 > bother with DHCP as I prefer to know what address belongs to which
21 > interface. It's not as though I had hundreds of boxes to keep abreast
22 > of, after all.
26 This was fun. I tried to set it up the way you explained but apparently
27 I ain't to good with this. Now the router don't work at all and I had
28 to hit the reset button on the modem. I'm glad I could remember the
29 password. :/
30
31 OK. The IP I get from AT&T is set by them and it changes. I think that
32 is dynamic not static. So, I assume that part of the connection has to
33 be DHCP. Correct? That was how I left it anyway.
34
35 Where does this network idiot go from here? I think the modem got mad
36 when I told it to let the router set the IP between it and the modem.
37 The computer seemed to talk to the router just fine but had not internet
38 IP address. It was blank.
39
40 Dale
41
43
44 P. S. Going to look for a howto to see if it at least helps me
45 understand how this works.