From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:42:42
1 On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 05:53 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 19 December 2010 10:10:56 Dale wrote:
6 > >> It's pretty simple tho. Computer>> router>> DSL modem>> internet.
7 > >>
8 > > Seems to me that the only place you need DHCP is on the DSL side of the
9 > > modem, so that it can request an address from your ISP. If you pay them
10 > > for a static address, that's the one you'll get; otherwise of course
11 > > it'll vary from one occasion to another.
12 > >
13 > > On the inner side of the DSL modem I suggest you fix an address, say
14 > > 192.168.0.1, then 192.168.0.2 on the router's modem interface, then
15 > > 192.168.1.1 on the router's LAN interface. All those with a 24-bit mask
16 > > for simplicity. (I used to use a 29-bit mask, but that only leaves six
17 > > addresses free and it was too restrictive.)
18 > >
19 > > You could run DHCP in the router if you wanted to, to save yourself
20 > > setting manual addresses on your computers, but personally I don't
21 > > bother with DHCP as I prefer to know what address belongs to which
22 > > interface. It's not as though I had hundreds of boxes to keep abreast
23 > > of, after all.
27 > This was fun. I tried to set it up the way you explained but apparently
28 > I ain't to good with this. Now the router don't work at all and I had
29 > to hit the reset button on the modem. I'm glad I could remember the
30 > password. :/
31 >
32 > OK. The IP I get from AT&T is set by them and it changes. I think that
33 > is dynamic not static. So, I assume that part of the connection has to
34 > be DHCP. Correct? That was how I left it anyway.
35 >
36 > Where does this network idiot go from here? I think the modem got mad
37 > when I told it to let the router set the IP between it and the modem.
38 > The computer seemed to talk to the router just fine but had not internet
39 > IP address. It was blank.
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
43 > :-) :-)
44 >
45 > P. S. Going to look for a howto to see if it at least helps me
46 > understand how this works.
49 Dale,
50
51 point 1 is that the problem you seem to have is that your two dhcp
52 systems are each giving out IP's from the same range, and as both are
53 starting at the same number, thats where the clash occurs. Simple fix
54 is to change the ranges so they dont overlap. Bottom line, you should
55 have only one dhcp server per network (as defined by the subnet mask)
56 unless you pin IP numbers (as in bootp), use different ranges for each
57 or other trickery. Or statically assign ip numbers and be done with it!
58
59 Point 2 is dhcp is non-routable as it broadcasts (as always, there are
60 ways to deal with this - but I dont think you have dhcp-relay going on.)
61 - dhcp clients broadcast for an address, and the server sends the
62 address back unicast - so clients on different network segments cant see
63 others broadcasts - for instance a layer 3 router blocks broadcasts.
64
65 point 3 is that the adsl modem is normally a dhcp client to the external
66 network (as its ip address is supplied by the ISP), and a server for the
67 internal network to supply IP numbers from its own pool of addresses to
68 your internal machines.
69
70 Point 4 is that the network design sucks. Can you list what ip
71 number/subnet mask you have on the internal PC, the router internal
72 interface, the router external interface and the adsl modem internal
73 interface. And on which device the NAT/firewall is happening (please
74 done say both ... :(
75
76 Point 5 ... thats enuf for now :)
79 BillK