From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:19:18
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > point 1 is that the problem you seem to have is that your two dhcp
5 > systems are each giving out IP's from the same range, and as both are
6 > starting at the same number, thats where the clash occurs. Simple fix
7 > is to change the ranges so they dont overlap. Bottom line, you should
8 > have only one dhcp server per network (as defined by the subnet mask)
9 > unless you pin IP numbers (as in bootp), use different ranges for each
10 > or other trickery. Or statically assign ip numbers and be done with it!
11 >
12 > Point 2 is dhcp is non-routable as it broadcasts (as always, there are
13 > ways to deal with this - but I dont think you have dhcp-relay going on.)
14 > - dhcp clients broadcast for an address, and the server sends the
15 > address back unicast - so clients on different network segments cant see
16 > others broadcasts - for instance a layer 3 router blocks broadcasts.
17 >
18 > point 3 is that the adsl modem is normally a dhcp client to the external
19 > network (as its ip address is supplied by the ISP), and a server for the
20 > internal network to supply IP numbers from its own pool of addresses to
21 > your internal machines.
22 >
23 > Point 4 is that the network design sucks. Can you list what ip
24 > number/subnet mask you have on the internal PC, the router internal
25 > interface, the router external interface and the adsl modem internal
26 > interface. And on which device the NAT/firewall is happening (please
27 > done say both ... :(
28 >
29 > Point 5 ... thats enuf for now :)
32 > BillK
36 Well, I'm not real sure at times what thing has what IP. I found this
37 on the modem tho:
38
39 IP Address / Name MAC Address Connection Status Connection Type
40 192.168.1.1/ fireball 1c-6f-65-4c-91-c7 Offline Ethernet
41 192.168.1.2/ 00259C49FD9D 00-25-9c-49-fd-9d Active Ethernet
42 192.168.1.4/ * 1c-6f-65-4c-91-c7 Offline Ethernet
43 192.168.1.6/ * 00-25-9c-49-fd-9d Offline Ethernet
46 The one that says "active" is the router currently connected. I got it
47 to working again. ;-) It looks like the modem "remembers" what is
48 hooked up and what IPs it was assigned. Neat huh. I can't find the
49 same thing in the router tho.
50
51 I found a how to. I read it. This is what I got out of it. It sounds
52 like I need to let the modem use DHCP with the phone company. Then I
53 need to set the ethernet that comes toward the router to say 192.168.1.2
54 then set the router to 192.168.1.5 or something to come to my puter..
55 Then when I hook up my second puter, I can assign it 192.168.1.6 or
56 something. Best I can figure, no two can have the same IP. Each device
57 has two IPs, one coming in, one going out. That part sort of confuses
58 me a bit. I need a chalk board for this.
59
60 I think the how to may have made this worse. :-(
61
62 I don't know if the reset changed this or not but I did notice that the
63 setting "connection type" was set to "on demand" again. I put it back
64 to "always on" which is what I set it to once before. I was told it
65 watches for http traffic and if there is none for a while, it logs off.
66 Since I check email, have Kopete running and ntp plus others running, I
67 need it on all the time.
68
69 Still muddy? I know it is here.
70