From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:49:49
2 > I found a how to.  I read it.  This is what I got out of it.  It sounds like I need to let the modem use DHCP with the phone company.
3
4 [MWK] Yes
5
6 >Then I need to set the ethernet that comes toward the router to say 192.168.1.2
7
8 [MWK] No. Set the WAN side of your router to use DHCP. The modem and
9 your ISP will assign the address to the WAN side.
10
11 >then set the router to 192.168.1.5 or something to come to my puter..
12
13 Actually, it should get set automatically to something like
14 192.168.1.1. Make sure you are using Gateway mode on the Advanced
15 Routing tab. No computer should be set to this address.
16
17 Turn on DHCP in the Router for your internal network and start at
18 192.168.1.200 or something way out there. Allow 10 addresses.
21 > Then when I hook up my second puter, I can assign it 192.168.1.6 or something.  Best I can figure, no two can have the same IP.  Each device has two IPs, one coming in, one going out.  That part sort of confuses me a bit.  I need a chalk board for this.
22
23 Each Ethernet NIC has one IP address. If you want to use fixed IP's
24 then set them to anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 so as to
25 not conflict with the Router or DHCP.
29 > I think the how to may have made this worse.   :-(
30 >
31 > I don't know if the reset changed this or not but I did notice that the setting "connection type" was set to "on demand" again.  I put it back to "always on" which is what I set it to once before.  I was told it watches for http traffic and if there is none for a while, it logs off.  Since I check email, have Kopete running and ntp plus others running, I need it on all the time.
32
33 That 'On Demand' thing isn't something I see in my LinkSys but I have
34 a different model than you so who knows.
35
36 Good luck,
37 Mark