From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 03:01:34
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >> I found a how to. I read it. This is what I got out of it. It sounds like I need to let the modem use DHCP with the phone company.
3 >>
4 > [MWK] Yes
7 >> Then I need to set the ethernet that comes toward the router to say 192.168.1.2
8 >>
9 > [MWK] No. Set the WAN side of your router to use DHCP. The modem and
10 > your ISP will assign the address to the WAN side.
13 >> then set the router to 192.168.1.5 or something to come to my puter..
14 >>
15 > Actually, it should get set automatically to something like
16 > 192.168.1.1. Make sure you are using Gateway mode on the Advanced
17 > Routing tab. No computer should be set to this address.
18 >
19 > Turn on DHCP in the Router for your internal network and start at
20 > 192.168.1.200 or something way out there. Allow 10 addresses.
24 >> Then when I hook up my second puter, I can assign it 192.168.1.6 or something. Best I can figure, no two can have the same IP. Each device has two IPs, one coming in, one going out. That part sort of confuses me a bit. I need a chalk board for this.
25 >>
26 > Each Ethernet NIC has one IP address. If you want to use fixed IP's
27 > then set them to anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 so as to
28 > not conflict with the Router or DHCP.
32 >> I think the how to may have made this worse. :-(
33 >>
34 >> I don't know if the reset changed this or not but I did notice that the setting "connection type" was set to "on demand" again. I put it back to "always on" which is what I set it to once before. I was told it watches for http traffic and if there is none for a while, it logs off. Since I check email, have Kopete running and ntp plus others running, I need it on all the time.
35 >>
36 > That 'On Demand' thing isn't something I see in my LinkSys but I have
37 > a different model than you so who knows.
38 >
39 > Good luck,
40 > Mark
44 This is what I have done so far. This is my net file:
45
46 config_eth0=( "192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.0.255" )
47 routes_eth0=( "default via 192.168.1.4" )
48
49 So that should have fireball at a static IP right? Now when I add the
50 other puter, I can set its IP to something different, say 192.168.1.6,
51 and then I know what their IPs will be and can ssh in or whatever
52 without having to dig around to find out the IP address.
53
54 So far, this seems to be working. It took me a bit to figure out what
55 to set the route to. That should be the modem. At first, I could
56 access the router but nothing beyond that. Adding the route helped. I
57 can even get to google.
58
59 What have I done wrong so far?
60