From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiling binaries on a different server
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:18:51
1 The PORTAGE_BINHOST option is quit time consuming on emerges. But, if
2 you're only doing it once in awhile, in batched sets, it should be
3 just fine. The reason it takes so long is that it has to do an FTP
4 listing of the remote host, cache that info, and then finally it'll do
5 the merging.
6
7 I was doing that quite a bit in times past. But, you have to make
8 sure you are using the same use flags on EVERY host. Also, I did have
9 issues where emerge would refuse to use a binary package, and instead
10 would re-build it. I think it was due to using the --newuse
11 functionality, and/or the -u (update) functionality.