From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Compiling binaries on a different server
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:43:42
1 >> On Friday 13 October 2006 15:16, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2 > > I was reading the thread on the lightweight gentoo system.
3 > This to a
4 > > degree meshed with what a friend and I have been talking about.
5 > > Essentially setting up a standard image for all of my
6 > gentoo servers,
7 > > and stage 4ing (is that a word?) that image to the servers.
8 > Once they
9 > > are in production, building updates etc in a dedicated build
10 > > environment and simply rolling out binaries to the boxes as
11 > they are needed.
12 > >
13 > > The concept sounds really good, giving me the ability to do
14 > > (relatively) fast updates with binaries on the production servers,
15 > > after they have been through testing, with out tying up
16 > resouces, and
17 > > (more importantly) being able to fully test them prior to
18 > putting them into production.
19 > >
20 > > If anyone has done this type of thing, or has references, links,
21 > > pointers etc I would REALLY appreciate them.
22 >
23 > I haven't done any stage4 stuff so no clue about how to do
24 > that. I only know that it's possible. But for the rest of it
25 > [1] should give you a hint...
26 >
27 > [1]
28 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&
29 chap=3#doc_chap4
30 >
31 > --
32 > Bo Andresen
35 Bo:
36
37 The stage 4 stuff is quite easy and I do that routinely. If you want
38 links or suggestions on how to do it I'll be glad to try to help -- its
39 sped up my life considerably. It was the separate build host etc stuff
40 that I was looking for. That section out of the handbook looks good
41 --I'll start playing with it in a dev environment hopefully this weekend
42 -- thanks for the pointer
43
44 TIM
47 Timothy A. Holmes
48 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
49
50 Medina Christian Academy
51 A Higher Standard...
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list