From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: bbgallery and template files
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:31:23
1 On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:48:35 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > I've downloaded todays snapshot of protage and extracted
4 > gimp-perl. Placed it in my portage tree. Then unmasked it with
5 > package.keyword file and ran `emerge -v -p gimp-perl and then without
6 > -p.
7 >
8 > The build pulled in 20 other perl packages and is running currently.
9 > Should I expect trouble from doing it this way?
10
11 Yes, if the dependencies are not in your outdated portage tree, although
12 it appears you got away with it this time.
13
14 Why don't you want an up to date portage tree?
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make
21 it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way
22 is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
23 The first method is far more difficult" -C.A.R. Hoare