From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: bbgallery and template files
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:37:29
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
4 >> The build pulled in 20 other perl packages and is running currently.
5 >> Should I expect trouble from doing it this way?
6 >
7 > Yes, if the dependencies are not in your outdated portage tree, although
8 > it appears you got away with it this time.
9 >
10 > Why don't you want an up to date portage tree?
11
12 Its not that I don't want an updated portage tree. Its just that
13 I've let my installation get fairly aged while doing other things for
14 the last several mnths.
15
16 In that time I've forgotten most of what goes into keeping an updated
17 system running smooth.
18
19 Last time I updated portage it seems I had lots of other things arise
20 from that. It took a few weeks to get running smoothly again.
21
22 Right now I didn't want to spend the time on it since I'm heavily
23 involved with video editing on several projects and am in the middle
24 of getting my property ready for sale to boot.
25
26 I would like to see an outline of what it takes to update the whole
27 system but as I recall its all in gentoo documentation but will
28 require quite extensive reading.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list