From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot help
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:02:17
1 Alan Ianson wrote:
2 > I can't seem to boot my new install of gentoo-amd64-2005.0. I did a stage 3 install and all seems to have gone well but I can't seem to boot it up, I get a kernel panic and the last message on the screen says "Please use a correct root= command". I have appended root=/dev/sda3 and as far as I can tell that is what it should be. This is a brand new machine with an amd64 2800+ cpu and an sata hard drive. I was up into the wee hours this morning trying to boot with no luck, I will try again tonight and try any ideas anyone can send my way. Thanks in advance. :)
6 You need the sata driver. You can build the driver into the kernel statically or use a modular driver and load it from an initrd. The install cd loads the sata drivers from a genkernel initrd.
7
8 Zac
9 --
10 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list