From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] selecting OS in Grub [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:59:05
1 Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2007 16:33:40 schrieb Dan Farrell:
2 > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:44:29 +0100
3 >
4 > Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2007 15:28:16 schrieb Dan Farrell:
6 > > > (windows refuses to hotswap mice, for example, and
7 > > > my techie windows-poweruser roommate insists that he's never been
8 > > > able to hotplug keyboards either, unless they were attached when the
9 > > > computer booted, although i'm almost positive he's wrong)
10 > >
11 > > Sorry, if I get this wrong. This is about PS/2-Ports, right?
12 > > Well your roommate is right then, PS/2 is not hotpluggable. Neither
13 > > the protocol nor the plugs are designed for this kind of use. It
14 > > sometimes works, but there is always the danger, your computer gets
15 > > damaged.
16
17 > well, i definitely hotswap keyboards all the time and i've never once
18 > had a problem, even in windows. I guess mice have to be plugged in at
19 > boot to work, I can't use them after booting if they weren't.
20 > Kebyoards however work fine, even if they weren't plugged in when the
21 > computer booted. I didn't test it for windows.
24 I'd call this luck ;)
25 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector
26 See "Potential Damage"
27