From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Masking for Educational Purposes only ?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:28:37
1 On 11/24/08, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Well, why? If you want to test 2.2 instead, you can do it. It's not
3 > blocking you from anything.
4
5 Yes, before the change the only thing blocking portage 2.2 was ~arch.
6 Now it requires the bigger tool, Thor's Hammer of Unmasking +5 (+15
7 against portage devs and other undead? ;) ).
8
9 > He wants users to test *more* a given version, and that in turn will
10 > probably benefit us all. It's a psychological trick, maybe, but an
11 > absolutely innocent one. In fact, once you know that, you *should* jump
12 > the bandwagon and help test the previous version.
13
14 Let's think for a moment about the logic and psychology underlying
15 this situation.
16
17 Why have these people upgraded to unstable portage 2.2 in the first
18 place? Just to "test it out"? To show off ricing to the debian and
19 ubuntu kids running their ancient stable stuff? No, it's the package
20 manager for crying out loud! My guess is that most have packages
21 explicitly requiring them to run the newer portage, packages like
22 anything related to kde4.
23
24 Will such people help with testing of 2.1 on their normal system? No.
25 So how many new testers did this actually acquire? And how much work
26 was wasted unmasking the packages and ranting on mailing lists?
27
28 My guess is zero new testers and a lot of time wasted with hundreds or
29 thousands of people whipping out their text editors and unmasking the
30 package, then going off ranting on mailing lists, forums and irc
31 channels.
32
33 So, yes, I'd tend to agree with Mr McKinnon and Mr Jarausch on this
34 issue. Something was bad in this execution of this "need more testers"
35 -- regardless of the possible original good intentions.
36
37 /semi-serious-rant
40 Arttu V.