From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Bluetooth speakers
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 12:25:11
1 On 2022-05-06, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 5 May 2022 21:37:12 BST Michael wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've never had speakers blowing the audio chips driving them. I
5 >> would have thought they would be protected electrically from such
6 >> events occurring.
7
8 I doubt there is much protection on line-out connections.
9
10 > The sound chips have failed on both my workstations' motherboards
11 > over the last five years or so. They only seem to last a couple of
12 > years. Each time I've plugged in a USB dongle instead, and both of
13 > those have now failed.
14
15 That's very odd.
16
17 > Or perhaps it's the speakers and their amplifiers.
18
19 IMO, that's the logical conclusion.
20
21 I've never had the audio chip on any computer fail -- ever. Nor have I
22 ever had a USB audio adapter fail (though I've only used a couple of
23 them over the years).
26 Grant