From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 19:46:10
1 060101 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Sunday 01 January 2006 19:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>> No, I'm not going out to buy more hardware. Am I missing something
4 >> A cable at least, a cable and two cheap NICs at most :)
5 >> Networking them would enable use if the 2nd machine as a backup server,
6 >> reducing the risk of needing to use it as your main box.
7 > And make possible the use of the ssh+screen combination described before.
8 > Moreover, it would allow sharing the ADSL line between the two boxes,
9 > so they could be connected to Internet both at the same time.
10
11 But why would I want to go to all that trouble
12 just to have another computer I can plug in if the usual one fails ??
13 I would have to have on OS in the back-up machine -- Mandriva 2005 ? -- ,
14 run Sshd (or whatever) with accompanying security paranoia
15 (which I've never had to get into so far), get it to work properly
16 -- there are always bugs & awkwardnesses with something like that -- ,
17 then use it all to install -- slowly -- Gentoo on the 2nd machine.
18 This would be all new to me & have no other use for work or normal life,
19 all for a machine I built in 2000 & which is beginning to show signs of age
20 (eg the on/off switch doesn't work reliably) !!
21
22 Really, some of us believe computers are working machines, not toys,
23 & we try to keep our systems simple, reliable & useful.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list