From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:51:39
1 On Donnerstag 01 Oktober 2009, Arthur D. wrote:
2 > Hello, happy Gentoo users! I'm new on this distro, so I'm sorry if you
3 > consider to be stupid what I gonna say.
4 >
5 > Many of us prefer editors other than nano. Some of us believe in ideas of
6 > freedom and choice which Gentoo provides us with. But...
7 >
8 > There're ones who prefer primitive hardcoding over giving the enduser to
9 > choose. There're defaults set by someone, that you should respect.
10 > Because... Just because he wants so. Because you are nothing. Just another
11 > ungrateful user...
12 > An example?
13 >
14 > The package SUDO. It is one of the most mandatory packages in distro.
15 > But it totally ignores the enduser's favor in editing.
16 > It just hardcodes what the ebuild's maintainer decided. Once and forever.
17 >
18 > Do you want to remove nano from your system? DON'T DO THAT! Or you gonna
19 > get some issues, you shouldn't get, if the things work as expected.
20 >
21 > I just installed VIM with emerge, and removed nano because I considered
22 > it to be absolutely unnecessary in my system. Why I need nano? I am a VIM
23 > fan. And here the troubles begin...
24 > Run "sudo visudo" and you get this:
25 > ~ $ sudo visudo
26 > visudo: no editor found (editor path = /bin/nano)
27 > ~ $ env | grep -i edit
28 > EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
29 >
30 > What a surprise! Hm... Possibly I did something wrong when setting my
31 > system, that terminates me with this error?..
32 >
33 > So I was forced to spend my time analysing what is wrong with the package
34 > and how to fix that. Because I remember it was working as expected in my
35 > previous LFS (linuxfromscratch) system. My quests leaded me to the ebuild
36 > of sudo. And I saw this nice shiny line there:
37 > --with-editor=/bin/nano
38 >
39 > Stop. I don't use nano. I even don't have it! But the ebuild doesn't check
40 > if nano is installed. No care. It was just like said to me:
41 > "Hey, you are just a stupid moron! Who removes default editor? He-he..."
42 >
43 > I asked the ebuild maintainer to fix this behaviour. And what did he say?
44 > "You should read manual page of sudo in order to make it work as expected.
45 > To make it respect your preferences. And I don't care what editor you
46 > prefer. Nano is Gentoo default editor!!! You understand? Stop boring me!
47 > I will not change anything! Ha-ha..."
48 >
49 > Actually it was said in other words but the idea is same.
50 > Looks like the principle "it just works" is not for Gentoo users.
51 >
52 > If you don't agree with ignoring of your preferences,
53 > please vote for this bug:
54 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/votes.cgi?action=show_user&bug_id=286017#vote_286017
55 >
56 > P.S. Having defaults is not bad. But they should not override our
57 > favourites.
58 >
59 > Thank you.
60 >
61 > --
62 > Best regards, Spinal
65 and isn't the real upstream hard coded editor vim?
66
67 so.. how about... you know... don't get your panties in a knot about nothing?