From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often do you reboot?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 00:13:16
1 On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:45:12 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > init thingies have changed a lot since your Mandr{ake,iva}
4 > > experiences. The way the kernel handles them is very different and
5 > > the tools used to build them have changed greatly. Mandrake used
6 > > their on init thingy builder, as did most distros, whereas we now
7 > > have a standardised tool that works well in a greater range of
8 > > situations.
9
10 > I've already had one fail on Gentoo. It was about the 2nd or 3rd time I
11 > rebooted after starting to use it. The tools may have changed but the
12 > experience hasn't. It's one reason why I make certain to keep older
13 > kernels/init thingys around so that I can boot.
14
15 That's just sensible, although a new combination is more likely to fail
16 because of the kernel than the init thingy.
17
18 > I don't see me liking the init thingys in my lifetime. I'm to old to
19 > start trusting them given the large number of failures I've had.
20
21 You should try building your own. It's explained in the kernel docs and
22 is a simple process. Once you have done it yourself a few times, you'll
23 feel far more comfortable with the whole idea; then you can go back to
24 doing it the lazy way.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 I just took an IQ test. The results were negative.