From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often do you reboot?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 01:09:11
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:45:12 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> init thingies have changed a lot since your Mandr{ake,iva}
5 >>> experiences. The way the kernel handles them is very different and
6 >>> the tools used to build them have changed greatly. Mandrake used
7 >>> their on init thingy builder, as did most distros, whereas we now
8 >>> have a standardised tool that works well in a greater range of
9 >>> situations.
10 >> I've already had one fail on Gentoo. It was about the 2nd or 3rd time I
11 >> rebooted after starting to use it. The tools may have changed but the
12 >> experience hasn't. It's one reason why I make certain to keep older
13 >> kernels/init thingys around so that I can boot.
14 > That's just sensible, although a new combination is more likely to fail
15 > because of the kernel than the init thingy.
18 The kernel loaded, it was late in the process, about or at the time the
19 switch root is supposed to happen, that it failed. I might add, I
20 rebuilt the init thingy, rebooted it just fine. I didn't touch the
21 kernel. It was the init thingy that failed. If it was the kernel, it
22 would have failed the 2nd time as well until I rebuilt the kernel. I
23 was checking to see which failed. What went wrong, don't know. I just
24 know it failed to boot properly. Odd thing is, I had booted with that
25 one before. It worked but then failed on the next boot up. Still, I
26 keep a couple old kernels just for that. If just one works, I can work
27 on the others.
30 >> I don't see me liking the init thingys in my lifetime. I'm to old to
31 >> start trusting them given the large number of failures I've had.
32 > You should try building your own. It's explained in the kernel docs and
33 > is a simple process. Once you have done it yourself a few times, you'll
34 > feel far more comfortable with the whole idea; then you can go back to
35 > doing it the lazy way.
40 Already tried it. I never got it to work. I practically copy and
41 pasted the thing and it sort of did like the Gentoo one that failed. It
42 got to a point and failed. I googled and found the same type of errors
43 but the solutions just didn't work for me. I got tired of spending time
44 on it and kept booting without the init thingy. Then dracut came
45 along. So far, it's only failed once. < Dale says a prayer >
46
47 Dale
48