From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: changing console font
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 00:28:48
1 On 11/06/2009 03:16 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Skippy wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:12:06 -0600
4 >> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote the words:
7 >>> Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 04:19:22 -0700, Skippy wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> Plus, what is to stop me from changing the font to something
14 >>>>> non-english and ending up with a system where I can't read
15 >>>>> anything? :)
16 >>>>>
17 >>>> Nothing, but even if you don't have X available, or another
18 >>>> computer to SSH in from, you should be able to type blind enough to
19 >>>> do
20 >>>>
21 >>>> rm -f /etc/init.d/conso[TAB]
22 >>>> reboot
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>>>
26 >>>>
27 >>> In other words, save all your work before you try this. LOL
28 >>>
29 >>> Dale
30 >>>
31 >>> :-) :-)
32 >>>
33 >>>
36 >> Well, I was going to try this while performing some critical
37 >> applications, but maybe I'll wait now. :)
38 >>
39 >> Okay, so even if I shaft it up, X will still function normally then? I
40 >> suspected that was true, but didn't know for sure. If all else fails I
41 >> can boot another linux system (I have multiple gentoo installs on this
42 >> box) and fix the config file.
43 >>
44 >> I was just curious if there was a way to avoid all this potential pain.
45 >>
46 >> Thanks, Skippy
50 > You are braver than me. After looking at the names of those fonts, I'm
51 > to chicken to try to change them. Be my luck I'd change it to Greek or
52 > something and I see enough of that in the man pages. lol
53 >
54 > Let us know how it turns out and what you use. If it is English, I may
55 > try it too.
56
57 First, all fonts support English, no matter their language or else they
58 would be useless (you still need to type commands, for example).
59 Second, just use the setfont tool to test them first.