From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:59:30
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:43:21 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> > The problem people have with LVM is not working with PVs, VGs and
5 >> > LVs, it is understanding what they are and how they fit together.
6 >> > Once that is clear, the system becomes as simple as you stated.
7 >
8 >> I have a machine I built a couple of years ago that has a good Intel
9 >> MB & processor (i5-661) from that time frame, and the machine already
10 >> has Gentoo on it, but the hard drives where more or less what I had
11 >> hanging around at the time so it ended up with 4 smallish drives. 3
12 >> for Gentoo, 1 for Windows. Would it be a reasonable training exercise
13 >> to take a new 1TB drive and do some sort of rsync copy of those 3
14 >> drives into some sort of a LVM and see how it works?
15 >
16 > Yes, although you could also manage it without a new drive. It's a more
17 > challenging exercise, and probably not for an LVM novice, but you could
18 > convert the three drives into a single volume group without recourse to
19 > another drive, provided they weren't all 90% full.
22 > --
23 > Neil Bothwick
24
25 They are all small drives (80GB or 160GB) and they are all over 90%
26 full. They are also fairly slow and draw higher power than the 1TB
27 drive so I figure I'll save a few bucks on electricity each month by
28 doing it.
29
30 Not sure if I'll try moving Windows to the same drive. Seems like I
31 should as it will remove another drive from the box.
32
33 - Mark