From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:52:21
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:43:21 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > The problem people have with LVM is not working with PVs, VGs and
4 > > LVs, it is understanding what they are and how they fit together.
5 > > Once that is clear, the system becomes as simple as you stated.
6
7 > I have a machine I built a couple of years ago that has a good Intel
8 > MB & processor (i5-661) from that time frame, and the machine already
9 > has Gentoo on it, but the hard drives where more or less what I had
10 > hanging around at the time so it ended up with 4 smallish drives. 3
11 > for Gentoo, 1 for Windows. Would it be a reasonable training exercise
12 > to take a new 1TB drive and do some sort of rsync copy of those 3
13 > drives into some sort of a LVM and see how it works?
14
15 Yes, although you could also manage it without a new drive. It's a more
16 challenging exercise, and probably not for an LVM novice, but you could
17 convert the three drives into a single volume group without recourse to
18 another drive, provided they weren't all 90% full.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Definition of Trust: Two cannibals having oral sex.