From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:44:30
1 On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:01:07 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 >
4 >> > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty
5 >> > complex.
6 >>
7 >> I really don't think so. pvcreate <partition> creates a physical volume,
8 >> vgcreate <vgname> <partition> starts a volume group, and lvcreate -n
10 >> if it were a physical partition.
11 >
12 > The problem people have with LVM is not working with PVs, VGs and LVs, it
13 > is understanding what they are and how they fit together. Once that is
14 > clear, the system becomes as simple as you stated.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19
20 I have a machine I built a couple of years ago that has a good Intel
21 MB & processor (i5-661) from that time frame, and the machine already
22 has Gentoo on it, but the hard drives where more or less what I had
23 hanging around at the time so it ended up with 4 smallish drives. 3
24 for Gentoo, 1 for Windows. Would it be a reasonable training exercise
25 to take a new 1TB drive and do some sort of rsync copy of those 3
26 drives into some sort of a LVM and see how it works?
27
28 - Mark