From: Steffen Loos <fenlo@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:25:53
1 Am 04.01.2011 02:31, schrieb Dale:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I been watching my clock here for a while. On my old rig, ntp kept the clock set very, very well. This rig seems to have issues. I tried the stable version of ntp and it just seems to keep resetting the time but not adjusting the drift file at all. I even adjusted manually once and my entry was better than the one it made.
5 Maybe the drift of your systemclock is to large. E.g. in (full) virtuell machines i experienced this problem.
6 In such a case ntp only resets the clock regulary ("time reset +2.171765 s" in /var/log/ntp).[1]
7 I have solved it with adjtimex as i speedup the systemclock a little bit (params: tick and freq). Since ntpd is working as expected again.
8 [2] gave me the hint.
9
10 Steffen
14 [1] man 8 ntpd (just look for "maximum slew rate")
15 [2] http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/general/support/adjtimex.html