From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web mail
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 18:45:26
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 12:13, Nich Steicke <nano-tech@××××××××××××.au>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Web mail':
3 > modern, i would advise RoundCube - though its main draw back is its
4 > reliance on Java (its written <at least in part> in AJAX) - i personly
5
6 AJAX = Asynchronous Javascript And XML
7 Javascript != Java
8
9 AJAX isn't a language and doesn't have anything to do with Java.
10
11 Of course, roundcube might use Java AND AJAX or even use Java to generate
12 the Javascript and/or XML parts of AJAX. But you don't write applications
13 in AJAX (as you state), you write them using AJAX and using AJAX doesn't
14 automatically add a dependency on Java (as you imply).
17 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
18 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
19 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
20 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh