From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system.map file in /boot. How to manage?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 07:23:13
1 There is a lot online - basically its optional and needed just in case
2 (!) and should be versioned like its matching kernel and initrd.
3
4 BillK
5
6 one of many refs:
7 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28936630/what-is-the-need-of-having-both-system-map-file-and-proc-kallsyms
10 On 1/7/21 2:59 pm, Dale wrote:
11 > Howdy,
12 >
13 > The subject line pretty much describes this.  How does one manage the
14 > system.map file in /boot?  Is it needed?  Should it be updated with each
15 > kernel?  I tend to keep 2 to 3 kernels installed.  I tend to keep 2 that
16 > I know are stable and one testing.  After a while, I may remove the
17 > oldest one and only have two, just in case.  Should I version the
18 > system.map file the same as kernels?  Does just one with no version get
19 > the job done?  Update the file with each kernel upgrade or install one
20 > and done?
21 >
22 > While at it, what does it even do?  If it needs it, it doesn't matter
23 > but just curious.
24 >
25 > Thanks for any tips on this.
26 >