From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal web server
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 11:24:16
1 On Saturday 05 May 2012 05:32:54 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 5 May 2012, at 03:39, James wrote:
3 > > …
4 > > #copy running-config [http | https] <url>
5 > >
6 > > …
7 > > The I could just issue this command?
8 >
9 > The question mark terminating this statement seems dubious.
10 >
11 > This appears to be a feature of Cisco routers.
12 >
13 > http://stack.nil.com/C1256F0A00429755/html/webupload/
14 >
15 > > copy running-config http://10.10.10.<laptop web server IP>
16 > >
17 > > It should work and it's simple. What would be
18 > > some recommendations as to which minimal web server
19 > > I could run on a laptop (simple and small) to
20 > > just backup various router configs to?
21 >
22 > www-servers/lighttpd is famously small and on my system all its
23 > dependencies are already installed. It has a USE=minimal flag you might
24 > also try, for fewer calories.
25 >
26 > As a matter of practice I would not leave any webserver running on my
27 > laptop, or even installed, for longer than necessary. I would prefer to
28 > have a home or office webserver to which I could transfer these files and
29 > from which the router can obtain them. Rationally, I have no idea why I
30 > imagine one site to be more secure than the other.
31 >
32 > Consider this installation-free alternative:
33 > http://www.google.co.uk/searchq=one+line+python+web+server
34
35 Other alternatives are boa, thttpd, nginx.
36
37 You can also run netcat as 'nc -l -p 80 > backup_20120418.cfg' and then run
38 the copy command from the router.
41 Regards,
42 Mick