From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] visualise openrc initscript start order and dependency tree
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 13:34:44
1 On 11/11/19 11:54, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 5:38 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 09/11/19 19:51, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Only if somebody has created a generator for openrc, which I doubt.
7 >>> It was obviously a semi-trollish comment.
8 >>>
9 >> Now that's harsh! Although yes I'm sure he was tweaking tails - hence
10 >> the "tongue in cheek" smiley.
11 >
12 > I didn't intend to suggest that I thought it was mean-spirited. Just
13 > stirring the pot.
14 >
15 Fair enough. Trouble is, you can't be too careful with what you say on
16 the internet - it's too easily taken out of context or just plain
17 mis-understood.
18 >>
19 >> Fact is, there are a lot of people out there who hate systemd because
20 >> it's been successful, and it's been successful because it sticks to the
21 >> nix philosophy of "do one thing, and do it well".
24 > Now, THAT is a semi-trollish comment if I ever saw one. :)
25 >
26 > That said, you could argue that the individual components of systemd
27 > do generally do one thing well. I think the criticism is more in the
28 > packaging, and that the components mostly don't interchange with
29 > anything non-systemd. Though as we can see from eudev/elogind and so
30 > on that isn't strictly the case.
31 >
32 > I sometimes describe systemd as the anti-busybox.
33 >
34 > But, I don't want to derail the thread entirely...
35 >
36 Poettering is very much "do it right, if something else is already
37 broken then just break it completely". Much better for a computer, but
38 ruffles peoples' feathers ...
39
40 That said, yes we are derailing this thread somewhat :-)
41
42 Cheers,
43 Wol