From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] visualise openrc initscript start order and dependency tree
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 11:54:52
1 On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 5:38 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 09/11/19 19:51, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Only if somebody has created a generator for openrc, which I doubt.
6 > > It was obviously a semi-trollish comment.
7 > >
8 > Now that's harsh! Although yes I'm sure he was tweaking tails - hence
9 > the "tongue in cheek" smiley.
10
11 I didn't intend to suggest that I thought it was mean-spirited. Just
12 stirring the pot.
15 > Fact is, there are a lot of people out there who hate systemd because
16 > it's been successful, and it's been successful because it sticks to the
17 > nix philosophy of "do one thing, and do it well".
20 Now, THAT is a semi-trollish comment if I ever saw one. :)
21
22 That said, you could argue that the individual components of systemd
23 do generally do one thing well. I think the criticism is more in the
24 packaging, and that the components mostly don't interchange with
25 anything non-systemd. Though as we can see from eudev/elogind and so
26 on that isn't strictly the case.
27
28 I sometimes describe systemd as the anti-busybox.
29
30 But, I don't want to derail the thread entirely...
33 Rich