From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 14:47:31
1 On Friday 29 May 2015 05:24:49 Gevisz wrote:
2 > On Fri, 29 May 2015 00:41:08 +0200 Volker Armin Hemmann
3 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Am 28.05.2015 um 17:35 schrieb gevisz:
5 > > > In my everyday work at the computer, I read
6 > > > and type at three or even four different languages.
7 > > >
8 > > > However, I do want to have all program menues
9 > > > and system messages only in English.
10 > > >
11 > > > So, when I found out that it can be achieved by
12 > > > setting -nls USE flag at my make.conf file, I did
13 > > > it, recompiled the system and for a few weeks
14 > > > enjoyed the full control of my Gentoo system.
15 > > >
16 > > > (As far as I can remember the gettext package
17 > > > was successfully depcleaned from my Gentoo
18 > > > system just after that.)
19 > > >
20 > > > However, after those few weeks (and some system
21 > > > updates), I have noticed that my system started
22 > > > to translate some "system" messages into one of
23 > > > the languages I use but which is not my native language.
24 > > >
25 > > > Moreover, running
26 > > > $ equery depends gettext
27 > > > I get about two fullscreens of packages that supposedly
28 > > > depend on gettext. Nevertheless, in all of them the -nls
29 > > > USE flag is either unset or absent.
30 > > >
31 > > > I have tried to depclean the gettext package from my
32 > > > system once again but portage just ignored my
33 > > > $ emerge --depclean gettext
34 > > > command.
35 > > >
36 > > > I think that it is some kind of a bug in the portage tree:
37 > > > when I set -nls USE flag globally, I do expect that the "system"
38 > > > messages will appear in English only and will not be translated
39 > > > in any other language, but the system understands that as
40 > > > I would have asked for a "non-native" language support.
41 > > >
42 > > > Of course, this is not my main problem in this life, but every
43 > > > time I get the "system" messages translated into my non-native
44 > > > language, I feel as I get a reminder that I do not have a full
45 > > > control of my Gentoo system.
46 > > >
47 > > > So, my questions are:
48 > > > 1. Is it a bug?
49 > > > 2. How can I get rid of those unwelcomed translations in the right way.
50 > >
51 > > 1. If a package hard depends on gettext, you can fiddle around with
52 > > useflags as much as you want, it won't change. Not a bug. Just the way
53 > > it is.
54 >
55 > If a package hard depend on gettext, it is a bug, IMHO.
56 >
57 > > 2. Environment variables. Set them. LANG, LANGUAGE and of course LC_ALL
58 >
59 > $ echo $LANG
60 > en_US.UTF-8
61 > $ echo $LANGUAGE
62 > %%% This environment variable is not set
63 > $ echo $LC_ALL
64 > %%% This environment variable is not set
65 >
66 > Why the system suddenly decided that my native language is one of
67 > the easten-europien ones, then?
68 >
69 > And a month or two ago, all the system messages was in English
70 > with exactly the same evironment variables setting. (And packages
71 > did not hard-depend on gettext.) Strange.
72
73 Do you get anything unexpected when you run 'locale'?
76 Regards,
77 Mick