From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: QT 4
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:20:05
1 Dmitry S. Makovey <dmitry <at> athabascau.ca> writes:
2
3 > since packages you use (I assume KDE etc.) are not using qt4 (i.e.
4 > require specifically qt3 branch) portage doesn't find any reasons to
5 > bump version of qt. AFAIR Qt is a slotted package and you can safely
6 > go ahead and do
7 > emerge =x11-libs/qt-4.1.1
8 > but you packages wouldn't use it.
9
10 Ok this kinda makes sense. But what exactly is a 'slotted package',
11 how do I determine when a packages is slotted, and where do I read
12 more about 'slotted'? I see this term used ofen, but, really have
13 no clue exactly what slotted means or if it has various meanings
14 based on the context of it's (verbiage) usage.
15
16 I'm looking at participating in developing software for remote control
17 of hardware, SCADA, if that means anything to you. One of the guys is
18 raving about QT4, so I need to install it, write a little code
19 and play with it to form an opinion related to it's viability as
20 a basis for open source SCADA development. Java is very nice, but
21 many folks do not like JAVA, due to licenses issues......
22
23 Hence the interest in QT4.
24
25 James