From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: QT 4
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:52:21
1 On Thursday 16 March 2006 15:03, James wrote:
2 > Dmitry S. Makovey <dmitry <at> athabascau.ca> writes:
3 > > since packages you use (I assume KDE etc.) are not using qt4
4 > > (i.e. require specifically qt3 branch) portage doesn't find any
5 > > reasons to bump version of qt. AFAIR Qt is a slotted package and
6 > > you can safely go ahead and do
7 > > emerge =x11-libs/qt-4.1.1
8 > > but you packages wouldn't use it.
9 >
10 > Ok this kinda makes sense. But what exactly is a 'slotted package',
11 > how do I determine when a packages is slotted, and where do I read
12 > more about 'slotted'? I see this term used ofen, but, really have
13 > no clue exactly what slotted means or if it has various meanings
14 > based on the context of it's (verbiage) usage.
15
16 in /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-4.1.1.ebuild check the line SLOT="4"
17 and compare it to /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-3.3.5.ebuild:
18 SLOT="3"
19
20 which indicates that those installed in different slots (in basic
21 terms - those could be installed side by side without affecting
22 existing applications unless they explicitly dependant on specific Qt
23 version).
24
25 there are quite a few "slotted" packages in portage so you might bump
26 into this every now and then (KDE is slotted AFAIR).
29 Dmitry Makovey
30 Web Systems Administrator
31 Athabasca University
32 (780) 675-6245