From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] umask and sticky bit
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:38:52
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 >> I would like the default permissions for directories created by a
5 >> particular user to be 1775. Is there some way to achieve this? I
6 >> think umask doesn't deal with the sticky bit.
7 >
8 > I did a few simple tests here, I also find that umask doesn't like
9 > setting sticky and {s,g}uid. Maybe you can achieve the same result with
10 > acls?
11 Probably, but I know nothing of acls. Probably an overkill, too.
12 >
13 > What's the reason you want to set the sticky bit for thaqt user? With
14 > some more info, maybe we can come up with an alternative
15 >
16 Just to allow users of a certain group to write to common directories
17 (not always the same, and which might be created by anyone of those
18 users) and avoid deleting each other's files.
19 > Incidentally, even if we persuade umask to set the sticky bit on dirs,
20 > it's probably not what you want, as it'll make all files sticky as well
21 Yes, but isn't that more or less harmless?
22
23 Maybe I should cook up some script to do it only on directories, but it
24 would be nicer if it worked out of the unix box...
27 Thanks,
28
29 Jorge
30 --