From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing FF/TB plugins in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:56:23
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 10:16:11AM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote
2
3 > There are two versions of the Java plugin listed, with the same
4 > libjavaplugin_oji.so filename. The latest is Java 1.5.0_04b05.
5 >
6 > There are two versions of Flash listed, also with one and the same
7 > filename: libflashplayer.so.
8 >
9 > The crux: are there really two versions installed? Should I clean
10 > this up? If so, how? Is this a Gentoo portage artifact, or does
11 > this happen in other distros as well?
12
13 I noticed recently that there are now two plugin directories, namely
14 /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
15
16 I assume that the "nsbrowser" directory is a holdover from the old
17 days of Netscape 4.x. I would suggest...
18 1) Close Firefox
19 2) su - (or login as root on another tty)
20 2) *MAKE SURE TO COPY OVER ANY PLUGINS FROM THE nsbrowser DIRECTORY
21 THAT AREN'T DUPLICATED IN THE mozilla-firefox DIRECTORY*
22 3) Rename /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins to /usr/lib/nsbrowser/oldplugins
23 and log out of root
24 4) Restart Firefox. You should have one copy of each plugin. If
25 things go OK, you can remove the "oldplugins" directory later.
26
27 > Also: I would like the Adobe Acrobat plugin, but
28 > 1) I don't see it in 'eix' or 'emerge -s'.
29 > 2) The instructions for installing from an existing Acrobat install
30 > are not effective with the portage-installed acrobat.
31
32 According to http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Acrobat
33 1. Install Adobe Reader.
34 2. Create a symbolic link to nppdf.so to your Mozilla plugins directory.
35 3. Ensure a copy of acroread is in your PATH.
36
37 You've already done step 1. Next...
38 - close Firefox
39 - su - or log in as root
40 - execute "find / -name nppdf.so" (without the quotes)
41 - ln -s full_path_to_nppdf.so /usr/lib/nsbrowser/oldplugins/
42 *NOTE* replace "full_path_to_nppdf.so" with the actual full path and
43 file name
44 - log out of root and start Firefox
45
46 > Alternatively, Adobe Reader 7.0 includes a script for installing the
47 > browser plugin. This script is installed at the following location
48 > by default:
49 >
50 > /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/install_browser_plugin
51
52 Of course, it'll likely be in a different location in Gentoo. As root
53 execute the command...
54
55 find / -name install_browser_plugin
56
57 and that should tell you where it is. I'm not giving you the location,
58 because I don't have Adobe installed, so I don't know where files are
59 kept. Adobe's a bleeping pain in the rear with a significant chunk of
60 screen space taken up by useless toolbars and outright advertising. I
61 use xpdf as a "helper-application". I like its minimalist look. It's a
62 pdf-viewer that concentrates on... *VIEWING A PDF*. What a novel idea!
65 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
66 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
67 --
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list