From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome login panel how to disable restart and shutdown buttons
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:18:33
1 On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Keep in mind that my incremental power costs right now are $0.42/KWH.
5 >> For monthly costs I use 24*365/12 = 730 hours/month.
6 >
7 > Wow, it is only $0.07 cents/kWh here (St Louis, Missouri, USA). The
8 > electric company wants to raise rates and the general public is
9 > violently opposed (as always). But it seems like we have it good!  The
10 > highest electric bill I've ever had was $89 last summer when we had a
11 > stretch of 100+ degree days... it's a real bargain but I still try to
12 > do what I can to save power, not only because of money but because
13 > it's The Right Thing To Do(tm).
14 >
15 > Gentoo is surely not the most power-saving distro when you consider
16 > the load that compiling generates, but there are some things I just
17 > cannot compromise on. :)
18 >
19 > They can double, triple, quadruple the electric rates and I'd still be
20 > happy; when the power goes out during a storm, etc., I find myself
21 > bored to death. Give me my electricity and give it to me now, please.
22 > :)
26 Well, power costs more in pretty, clean California, but not that much
27 more. I did say 'incremental' cost but I'm sure it wasn't that clear.
28
29 We're tiered here with prices in this email rounded to the nearest penny:
30
31 Up to 201 KWH @ $0.12 => $24.12
32 Up to 60 KWH @ $0.14 => $8.40
33 Up to 141 KWH @ $0.28 => $39.48
34 Up to 300 KWH @ $0.42 => $126
35
36 Prices go up pretty fast. We're 10% or more of the nation so there's a
37 big value to reducing our consumption so they raise prices pretty
38 hard.
39
40 My incremental comment means that other stuff in this house uses the
41 first 302 KWH each month and using or saving power on my office adds
42 or removes cost at $0.42/KWH. This last couple of months I've managed
43 to get down to 75 KWH in tier 4 so my actual costs in that tier were
44 about $31. If I could get to the middle of tier 3 then it would be
45 about a $50/month savings.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark