From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package conflict on update
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:30:20
1 On 1/5/06, Tom Martin <slarti@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:29:57 -0700
3 > Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Ok, so I get the output below when trying to merge after a sync today.
6 > > My guess is that the openmotif package was made into two separate
7 > > packages, correct?
8 > >
9 > > To the portage developers, how could this be handled? Perhaps emerge
10 > > could somehow figure out the reason for such a conflict, and then
11 > > automatically unmerge the original package?
12 >
13 > Not really a question to the portage developers -- just unmerge
14 > openmotif (the blocker) and continue as normal.
15
16 So what happens to the unknowing user that doesn't figure out that the
17 package was split into multiple packages? Especially if it's a
18 critical system package. They may not like the idea of unmerging the
19 package, and re-merging.
22 > --
23 > Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti
24 > AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, vim, recruiters
25 > Gentoo Linux
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list