From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bootstrap USE flags opinions?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:27:47
1 On Wednesday 12 October 2005 01:54 pm, Alexey Asprov wrote:
2 > Hi list again..
3
4 Hello Alexey. Just a quick FYI: Your timezone does not appear to be set
5 correctly; I can tell because your sent time is in the future ;-)
6
7 > I will attempt to bootstrap with following USE flags for the NPTL.
8 > I will not be using Gnome or KDE. I'd appreciate peoples opinion
9 > about them and welcome their examples of USE flags ( real working
10 > experiences) for bootstraping. This will be done for Pentium3
11 > machine, if this matters.
12
13 Hmm, well I can't tell you what to predict in regards to the list of flags
14 that you generated. The list is all over the place in regards to media and
15 web flags, yet the -kde and -gnome will hogtie most of the resulting
16 packages.
17
18 Use emerge --pretend to see what kind of results you'll actually get.
19
20 > Another question I'd like to ask if I need to include my CPU flags
21
22 In /etc/make.conf you define your CFLAGS to match your cpu. In your case
23 (which is just like mine) the following should suffice:
24
25 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -pipe -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
26 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
27
28 You might want to add the USE options for the supported mmx, mtrr, etc. but I
29 honestly can't tell you what effects they actually have on the builds.
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list