From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 20:06:59
1 >>>>> Have you considered using PXE to network boot your systems? you can
2 >>>>> have various configurations set up based on mac addresses to address
3 >>>>> different hardware issues. I recommend trying out SystemRescueCD to
4 >>>>> experiment with PXE booting for the client and server.
5 >>>>
6 >>>> That sounds like exactly what I need.  So, I could set up a Gentoo
7 >>>> server and a bunch of completely diskless clients which would all PXE
8 >>>> boot from the server?  Would the clients basically each control a
9 >>>> different virtual terminal on the server?
10 >>>
11 >>> Each machine can pull a copy of the master boot image to make updates
12 >>> a lot simpler. The SystemRescueCD PXE boot mechanism just pushes out a
13 >>> copy of the CD to all the machines to boot them. to update the boot
14 >>> image just update the files in one location to update all machines.
15 >>> the machines act as separate fully functioning machine. Check out
16 >>> http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_PXE_network_booting to
17 >>> see how to setup the PXE boot environment.
18 >>
19 >> I think I get it now and it sounds great, exactly what I'm looking for.
20 >>
21 >> Everything can be done in RAM, no disks required?
22 >>
23 >> Can PXE boot be done wirelessly?  Maybe only if the wireless is
24 >> onboard?  I tried to Google this but the info returned is terribly
25 >> outdated for some reason.
26 >>
27 >> Do you think SystemRescueCD is the best boot image for clients that
28 >> only need a browser?
29 >>
30 >> What sort of machine would work well as a client?  Should I just put
31 >> together a bunch of motherboards with onboard video and ethernet,
32 >> CPUs, RAM, PSUs, and small cases?  Is there a prebuilt system that
33 >> works well for this?  Maybe an ARM-15 system as "Tampa Bay" James
34 >> referenced, although I think that isn't released yet.
35 >>
36 >> - Grant
37 >
38 > Well, the first thing you need to decide is whether you want each
39 > client running that browser locally, or whether you want each client
40 > to merely provide an interface to the server, and every user's browser
41 > (and every other application) running on the server itself. If your
42 > clients boot, then run all their own software locally, your server's
43 > under only under load during boot-time and your clients need to be
44 > able to handle that work (not much, but it's more than nothing, just
45 > try running a modern Firefox on 64MB of ram). On the other hand, if
46 > your clients merely boot into a remote connection to the server, a la
47 > VNC or NX, the client does *very* little locally, can run on next to
48 > nothing hardware-wise (a true 'thin client'), and the entirety of the
49 > workload is offloaded to the server. If you want responsive 'eye
50 > candy', 3D graphics work/play, or any form of particularly 'smooth'
51 > animation, you will want that work to be handled on hardware closer to
52 > the user (requiring a far faster processor, more ram, a capable video
53 > device, and likely local storage for swap at the least), while serving
54 > up a simple browser to the user is far more forgiving.
55
56 After reading this, my first reaction was to run the browser on the
57 server and have each client connect via VNC/NX. Now that I think
58 about it, I may be better off running the browser locally for
59 simplicity's sake. I always try to keep the number of layers I'm
60 dealing with to a minimum and VNC/NX is one layer I could do without
61 if I beef up the clients a bit. How different would the client
62 hardware requirements be between running the browser locally and
63 running it via VNC/NX?
64
65 I suppose I could also do without the PXE layer and all of its
66 requirements if I install some sort of minimal storage device (flash
67 drive, SD card, USB key, etc.) into each workstation for the boot
68 image. I could still push updates to the boot image over the network
69 almost as easily as updating the single boot image on the server.
70
71 What is the benefit of loading SystemRescueCD instead of another
72 monolithic "just work" distro like Ubuntu?
73
74 > As for wired vs wireless, true hardware PXE booting is generally
75 > limited to wired scenarios, but it would be entirely possible (though
76 > not truly 'diskless') to deploy a minimal kernel+initramfs that
77 > handles initial booting, joining WiFi, pulling down of the system
78 > 'image' from your server, and handing control off to that in the same
79 > way your run of the mill kernel+initramfs loads hardware drivers until
80 > it can find the harddrive, attaches to the root partition, and hands
81 > off control to init from there. Changes to the wireless configuration
82 > would require directly visiting each client, and client-side kernel or
83 > initramfs updates easily could as well, if things don't go as planned
84 > (but, since all the user-side software is either run on the server or
85 > loaded from it at boot-time, changes to the client's "loader"
86 > shouldn't be frequent).
87
88 It sounds like I should stick with ethernet for simplicity's sake.
89
90 > There's also the option of pre-made hardware thin clients that
91 > typically boot from internal flash and simply provide a remote
92 > interface to a central server (though most are geared towards RDP or
93 > Citrix), and some are even WiFi capable.
94
95 A pre-made thin client could be the way to go. Do you know of any
96 that are geared toward open protocols?
97
98 - Grant
101 > Poison [BLX]
102 > Joshua M. Murphy