From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:06:56
1 On 07/13/2011 12:38 PM, Grant wrote:
2
3 > I suppose I could also do without the PXE layer and all of its
4 > requirements if I install some sort of minimal storage device (flash
5 > drive, SD card, USB key, etc.) into each workstation for the boot
6 > image. I could still push updates to the boot image over the network
7 > almost as easily as updating the single boot image on the server.
8 <snip>
9 > It sounds like I should stick with ethernet for simplicity's sake.
10
11 Yeah, PXE on the wire is the place to start if you want to boot across
12 the network. Start simple. Just get a handful of similar NICs and you
13 should be set.
14
15 >> There's also the option of pre-made hardware thin clients that
16 >> typically boot from internal flash and simply provide a remote
17 >> interface to a central server (though most are geared towards RDP or
18 >> Citrix), and some are even WiFi capable.
19 >
20 > A pre-made thin client could be the way to go. Do you know of any
21 > that are geared toward open protocols?
22
23 Quick query of "the oracle" yields:
24
25 http://www.thinlabs.com/products/thin-clients/aden
26
27 I have used AXEL thin client terminals and those require a VNC server
28 instance on your server per thin client, for the scenario that it sounds
29 like you're envisioning. It does RDP/VNC but you can get it to do
30 ssh/telnet on a green screen, with several sessions per seat.