From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:47:52
1 Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2011, 15:01:19 schrieb Dale:
2 > Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
3 > > Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2011, 10:28:47 schrieb Dale:
4 > >> Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
5 > >>> Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2011, 14:58:56 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
6 > >>>> Whether "many" operations are written in Fortran is immaterial.
7 > >>>> What
8 > >>>> matters to me is whether any on my system are. If they aren't, I
9 > >>>> don't need a Fortran compiler and I'd rather not waste system
10 > >>>> resources on building one.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> Try euse -I fortran.
13 > >>> If anything besides gcc pops up, you should have one.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Regards
16 > >>> Michael
17 > >>
18 > >> That doesn't appear to work like it should then. I get this:
19 > >>
20 > >> root@fireball / # euse -I fortran
21 > >> global use flags (searching: fortran)
22 > >> ************************************************************
23 > >> [+ CD ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
24 > >>
25 > >> Installed packages matching this USE flag:
26 > >> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
27 > >>
28 > >> local use flags (searching: fortran)
29 > >> ************************************************************
30 > >> no matching entries found
31 > >> root@fireball / #
32 > >>
33 > >> Thing is, I know a couple packages use it on this rig because I just
34 > >> had
35 > >> to recompile them. Cantor and R are two that I recall.
36 > >>
37 > >> Maybe it is because it is not a option in the list? The USE flag that
38 > >> is.
39 > >
40 > > Iirc you had problems with -fortran, because you have packages that
41 > > really need fortran. My suggestion was for people like Peter, who have
42 > > no problems without fortran. It shows only packages which could perform
43 > > better, if a fortran compiler is available and otherwise fallback to a
44 > > C implementation. At least, I think it does :)
45 > >
46 > >> Dale
47 > >>
48 > >> :-) :-)
49 > >
50 > > Michael
51 >
52 > Thing is, I switched it back and programs on here now need fortran to
53 > build. So, euse is not reporting it but R and Cantor won't build
54 > without fortran.
55
56 That's because R needs a fortran compiler to compile. It does not have a C
57 fallback solution for its maths. cantor depends on R per default. So it won't
58 build until a working R is installed.
59 Peter is not having problems without fortran. Everything compiles fine. So I am
60 quite shure he has neither R nor cantor installed or any other program that
61 needs a fortran compiler to build at all.
62 This euse command shows only packages where fortran is optional. This means
63 better performance, when enabled, in all (at least almost all) cases.
64
65 > Basically, euse should also report R and cantor but it
66 > isn't. If mine isn't reporting that, then Peter's may not either.
67
68 That's impossible, I think. euse reports USE-flags. These programs don't have a
69 fortran-USE-flag. R needs it unconditionally..
70
71 > Dale
73
74 Michael