From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ramifications of memtest86
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:28:07
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > Hi, Dale,
3 >
4 > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 06:43:46AM -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >
6 >> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
7 >>
8 >>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:22:21AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
9 >>>
12 >>>> When I run memtest86 from the gentoo boot disk, it signals millions
13 >>>> of failures in b11 of 32 bit words.
14 >>>>
17 >>>> I'll try unplugging and replugging these.
18 >>>>
19 >
20 >>> No help. :-(
21 >>>
22 >
23 >>> No matter how I plug in the RAM (4 combinations of 2 sticks into 2
24 >>> pairs of slots) it is always b11 which fails and always at an address
25 >>> ending in (hex) 0 or 8.
26 >>>
27 >
28 >>> How is this DDR3 Ram organised? Is each stick 64 bits wide, or are
29 >>> they 32 bits wide, being accessed by the motherboard pairwisely? If
30 >>> the latter, I would have exected the failure to move to address ....4
31 >>> and ....C when I swap the two sticks. Am I being prematurely
32 >>> pessimistic in thinking the motherboard might be the fault?
33 >>>
36 >> Sounds to me like the mobo may have issues. If swapping the ram around
37 >> doesn't move the error, then the chips on the mobo that connect to the
38 >> ram may be bad.
39 >>
40 > So the RAM sticks are each 32 bits wide, then?
43 I run 32 bit here. Mine doesn't care where they are but yours may be
44 different.
47 >> I would still rule out power issues if you can. A bad power supply, or
48 >> a weak one, can cause some pretty weird problems.
49 >>
50 > The power supply is brand new, from a reputable manufacturer. Surely if
51 > the power supply were dicky, I'd get RAM errors in some other bit
52 > position inside a 32-bit word. Or maybe the RAM into which memtest86 is
53 > loaded is also faulty. ;-(
56 >> Dale
60 Where the error is could depend on a single transistor that is maybe not
61 as sensitive as the others. It's sort of like a chain. It's only as
62 strong as its weakest link. It could be that whatever is going wrong
63 could be right on the edge of others not working either. The one that
64 is failing is just the first if it is a power problem. That's where the
65 power problem thought comes from. Have you had a look here for well
66 tested power supplies?
67
68 http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458204
69
70 That said, it could be a lot of things. It could be a bad chip on the
71 mobo, a piece of dust in the wrong place or any number of other things.
72 It's finding it that is so much fun.
73
74 I would also check to see if it is a heat related issue. If it runs
75 fine cold, that could point to the "dust" theory since it is
76 consistently broke. If it only does it when hot, then that could be a
77 chip problem.
78
79 Again, lots of things it could be. So far, everybody has replied with
80 good ideas to check. There are lots of them.
81
82 Dale
83