From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ramifications of memtest86. Got it!
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:18:39
1 Hi, Dale,
2
3 On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 08:27:01AM -0600, Dale wrote:
4
5 > Where the error is could depend on a single transistor that is maybe
6 > not as sensitive as the others. It's sort of like a chain. It's only
7 > as strong as its weakest link. It could be that whatever is going
8 > wrong could be right on the edge of others not working either. The
9 > one that is failing is just the first if it is a power problem.
10 > That's where the power problem thought comes from. Have you had a
11 > look here for well tested power supplies?
12
13 > That said, it could be a lot of things. It could be a bad chip on the
14 > mobo, a piece of dust in the wrong place or any number of other things.
15 > It's finding it that is so much fun.
16
17 The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
18 just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
19 just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
20 it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement for
21 the broken one.
22
23 > Again, lots of things it could be. So far, everybody has replied with
24 > good ideas to check. There are lots of them.
25
26 Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!
27
28 > Dale
29
33 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).