From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pwdb, pam and safe to remove?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:02:29
1 On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I run --depclean -p every once in a while just to clean out any
5 > cruft.
6 >
7 > This has me confused:
8 > > >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
9 > >
10 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
11 > > selected: 2.6.23-r6
12 > > protected: none
13 > > omitted: 2.6.23-r3 2.6.23-r8
14 > >
15 > > sys-libs/pwdb
16 > > selected: 0.62
17 > > protected: none
18 > > omitted: none
19 > >
20 > > dev-java/jakarta-regexp
21 > > selected: 1.3-r4
22 > > protected: none
23 > > omitted: none
24
25 > I get the gentoo-sources, no big deal. The java thing wouldn't
26 > exactly break my system either but the pwdb which pam depends on,
27 > well, wouldn't that be bad to remove?
28 >
29 > What's the deal? Remove it? Remove it and death will be painful and
30 > slow? o_O
31
32 It's safe to delete. The pam_pwdb module is not used any more. There's a
33 nice bug message in the ebuild that describes it.
34
35 Did you follow the PAM Upgrade guide (URL in the ebuild) way back when?
36 If so, just unmerge pwdb
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list