From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pwdb, pam and safe to remove?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:10:11
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I run --depclean -p every once in a while just to clean out any
7 >> cruft.
8 >>
9 >> This has me confused:
10 >>
11 >>>>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
12 >>>>>>
13 >>> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
14 >>> selected: 2.6.23-r6
15 >>> protected: none
16 >>> omitted: 2.6.23-r3 2.6.23-r8
17 >>>
18 >>> sys-libs/pwdb
19 >>> selected: 0.62
20 >>> protected: none
21 >>> omitted: none
22 >>>
23 >>> dev-java/jakarta-regexp
24 >>> selected: 1.3-r4
25 >>> protected: none
26 >>> omitted: none
27 >>>
30 >> I get the gentoo-sources, no big deal. The java thing wouldn't
31 >> exactly break my system either but the pwdb which pam depends on,
32 >> well, wouldn't that be bad to remove?
33 >>
34 >> What's the deal? Remove it? Remove it and death will be painful and
35 >> slow? o_O
38 > It's safe to delete. The pam_pwdb module is not used any more. There's a
39 > nice bug message in the ebuild that describes it.
40 >
41 > Did you follow the PAM Upgrade guide (URL in the ebuild) way back when?
42 > If so, just unmerge pwdb
46 I'm not 100% sure if I did or not on the upgrade guide. I do update a
47 couple times a week tho. If it has been a while, I may not remember it
48 if I did. I do read the messages so if it was in there, I most likely did.
49
50 Would have been cute to remove it tho and not be able to log back in. I
51 learned the hard way to do a pretend first. Sort of make sure it is
52 going to still work after words.
53
54 Thanks for the info.
55
56 Dale
57
59
60 Oh, still no DSL here. They been working on the box tho. Maybe soon.
61 --
62 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list