From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey, Linux and bank websites.
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:05:39
1 On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 05:28:42 -0500
2 Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Mick wrote:
5 > > On Saturday 24 March 2007 06:03, Dale wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Hi,
8 > >>
9 > >> I'm hoping someone can explain this to me and maybe even offer a
10 > >> workaround. This may only apply to us U.S. folks. Banks and
11 > >> credit card company are in the process of changing the way you log
12 > >> into a website. It "registers" your computer when you sign up as
13 > >> a security "feature". Problem is, this doesn't work with Linux
14 > >> and I suspect it doesn't work on a Mac either. I'm not sure, nor
15 > >> can I find out, what it uses to "register" my computer. It may be
16 > >> a CPU serial number or something like that.
17 > >>
18 > >
19 > > Nah, I don't think they are that sophisticated. Your link seems to
20 > > work fine in Opera and Firefox, but does not work in Konqueror. I
21 > > am talking about accepting all cookies here, because it is cookies
22 > > and IP address that they use to identify your computer.
25 > >> I also don't know if this is Linux or the web browser, I use
26 > >> Seamonkey. I plan to test a theory at my brothers that uses
27 > >> winders XP and Seamonkey to see if it works up there.
28 > >>
29 > >
30 > > I think that it may have something to do with the way you have
31 > > configured your cookies. Invariably they need you to accept
32 > > 'referrer logging' and third party cookies. This is because they
33 > > most often than not use a different server to log who the users are.
36 > >> Any ideas?? Am I cooked?
37 > >>
38 > >
39 > > I don't think that you are cooked, but it seems that you will need
40 > > to change your cookie policy on the browser in question.
41 > >
42 > > PS. The more stupid of the banks also discriminate against anything
43 > > other than MSIE. This can in most cases be bypassed by setting
44 > > your browser to be identified as IE (it returns the appropriate
45 > > headers to the server once you set it up to do so).
48 > OK. This is a start in the right direction. I checked on my cookie
49 > settings and here is what I have it set too in Seamonkey. Under
50 > "Cookie Acceptance Policy" I have it set to "Allow All Cookies" which
51 > is as allowable a policy as it has. Under "Cookie Retention Policy"
52 > I have it set to "Accept Cookies Normally" which is the most
53 > allowable policy it has. So you may could say I have it set to the
54 > least secure and wide open setting there is. Keep in mind that all
55 > other sites store my login information just fine. It is just this
56 > Passmark crap that doesn't work.
57 >
58 > Any ideas on what I can change here?
59 >
60 > Thanks.
61 >
62 > Dale
63 >
65 >
66 How about your bank ? ; )
67
68 wells fargo online services work fine for me, as did those of US bank.
69 Don't know if you have ever heard of those...
70 --
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list